Advanced Physiotherapy Practitioner consultation as an alternative to GP consultation for patients with Musculoskeletal Conditions
General Practice is currently experiencing considerable capacity and sustainability challenges. With General Practice carrying out 90% of patient contacts in the NHS and musculoskeletal (MSK) conditions accounting for 10 - 30% of GP appointments it is essential to explore new ways of coping with this demand.
In Midlothian, half the practices were operating with restricted lists as a result of increasing demand: a demand which is predicted to quickly rise as the influx of new housing has resulted in Midlothian being the fastest growing local authority area in Scotland.
The strategic principle of this work is therefore to redirect appropriate patients from General Practice to MSK APP services with the aim of:
• improving GP capacity.
• improving patient outcomes.
• improving the patient experience.
• being cost effective and efficient.
• enabling quick and easy access to highly specialised musculoskeletal input.
• reducing referrals to secondary care, helping throughput and improving the conversion rate to surgery.